If your podcast is like ours, then you host guests! We love having guests on the show. Not only is it fun for us, but it’s great for our audience to hear from other people on whatever topic we are covering. After all, we are not the only experts!
Right away, we knew that we wanted being a guest to be a great experience on our podcast so we put in place some things to make it work.
Here are my top 5 tips for hosting a guest on your podcast:
- Use a scheduler. We currently use setmore but calendly is another great option. The idea here is to make it easy for your guests to schedule an interview and going back and forth via email is not fun for anyone. Get a schedule set up and keep it updated. When you are set to schedule someone, send them your link to schedule.
- Create recording instructions and send to your guests. No matter how you are recording, it’s nice to give them an idea of what to expect. Send them all the techy details. What do they need for interview? Will it be on phone or via Skype? Give them all the details and make it easy on yourself and create a pdf or page on your website that you can easily share.
- Make them feel comfortable. Talk to them for a minute before you start the interview. Reassure them that it is totally ok to make mistakes. We always encourage our guests to stop if they don’t like what they said and to restart.
- Follow up the interview with a Thank You! A handwritten note, a little gift or even an email to simply say “thank you” goes a long long way. We knew we wanted this to be special so we take the time to send a gift in the mail.
- Lastly, be sure to send an email encouraging them to share. Once the episode airs, send them an email with links, cover art to share and any other graphics you may have. Also make sure to tell them how to tag you on social media. This doesn’t guarantee they will share it, but it helps remind them to do so and tells them how. The easier you can make it, the better.
Remember. The goal is to make it as easy as possible for your guests. After all, they are doing you a favor for coming on the podcast and it is a great opportunity for you to get to make connections with people in your industries and other industries.
If you are having a guest on who is nervous or has not done a podcast interview before, direct them to my podcast interview boost! This free email series will help your guests come in to the interview confident and ready to go!
Happy podcasting and let me know in the comments if you have any questions!